Saturday, May 18, 2013

Regular Maintenance

Sheep require a bit of upkeep: shearing, hoof trimming, vaccinations....  With the exception of shearing, we worked on those types of things today.

The "big" lambs-- Pecan, Pistachio, Peanut, Cashew, and Acorn--had their first shot. The tetanus vaccine was right on time for Acorn, who cut her foot on Thursday night. She, as usual, was somewhere she should not have been. (We've upped the lambproofing since then.)  Her bandage came off today, and I feel (slightly) less worried about her.

Ouch.
While Scott did the injecting, I held the lambs.  It gave me an opportunity to really get my hands on their fleeces, and I'm happy to learn that we have a lot of really nice fleeces.  Most of the lambs hopped down immediately after their shot, but Pecan hung out with me for awhile.  He's huge (people who have non-tiny sheep can laugh at this statement).  I think this picture might have been taken after he accidentally bumped my neck with his horn...

My big cuddly boy
...which was nothing.  Almond nibbled on my neck with his sharp little herbivore teeth.  He had been climbing on Scott's legs while he trimmed hooves, so I held him.   He is a really, really friendly little guy, but sometimes he takes it a bit too far.  Just yesterday, he stuck his head up my dress while I was checking on baby Macadamia. The boys find the excessive friendliness charming.  Scott and I have mixed feelings about it.

Almond: wee, cute, & annoying
Macadamia and Henrietta are doing well.  Macadamia such a little sweetie (and of course, Henrietta is a sweetie, too.  A slightly larger sweetie.).

Macadamia
All the older ewes had their hooves trimmed.  Scott is ecstatic to think that we'll be doing this about every eight weeks or so.  Especially Sandy and Calico. 

Elsie getting her mani and pedi.

No comments:

Post a Comment