Friday, January 31, 2014

Lambing Countdown Kick Off


 

Two months to go until lambs start arriving....if Gunpowder performed his job properly, that is!

In a little over a month, depending on the weather, sheep shearing day will be here.  I'm excited about the fleeces (I've only had a few peeks here and there about what is going on under those coats), and about starting Udder Check 2014. (Hmm, maybe I shouldn't lay in the pasture this year to look at udders--Macadamia will probably crawl all over me.)

Pistachio is bored already.

Until then, things will be pretty boring.  (Let's hope there's nothing worth blogging about when we clean out the storage room in the barn!) I did a "Meet the Flock" series of posts last year, and this year I'd thought I'd do a "Meet the Mommies" themed lambing countdown.   In no particular order:

8 Weeks to Go: Elvira!

No peanuts?  I'll just nibble on your coat.

If you've been reading the blog for awhile, you know Elvira.    She's an almost three year-old black gulmoget.  Elvira is a sweetie, but even though she enjoys peanuts and under-the-chin scratches, she is shy and a bit jumpy.




Last year's lamb: Peanut!



Last year, she was the second ewe to lamb.  She lambed during the day (way to go, Elvira!).  On Good Friday, she gave birth to a single ewe lamb, the lovely Peanut.  Peanut is 99.5% white.  She looks nothing like her mother; instead, she's a spitting image of her grandma Sandy.

Peanut all grown up.


Any guesses for Elvira this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment