Sunday, February 10, 2013

No rhyme or reason, unless you count the Electric Slide

Apparently, chicken combs can grow back.  At least Floppy's comb appears to be growing back.  I didn't think it was possible.  (No dramatic pictures of it yet.  Besides, I don't think anyone other than myself or my boys would notice.) 

In the garden, we planted winter rye for "green manure."  The plan was to turn it under before it went to seed.  I've been working on it for days*, and I have one and one-quarter of our three (slightly) raised gardens finished.  And it's not like we don't have enough manure.

The chickens enjoyed some time in the backyard over the weekend.  They helped me in the garden.  Hopefully, they were eating whatever life stage of squash beetle that is lurking the in ground, waiting to eat all my squashes.

Happy chickens

My little garden helpers

Barack is doing a good job as a guard.  He's working hard for his hay (and llama food and treats).  He also has a fondness for pine needles.  He eats needles, stems, everything.  (And I'll probably be mentioning a vet visit next week.)

Don't mess with my sheep.
Pine tree.  Yum.
Hazel allowed me to take a picture of her, and she's even begun approaching when some of the other girls are begging for treats.  Elvira, Elsie, and Henrietta will eat peanuts from my (or Henry's) hands, and although Calico will do anything for corn, she turns up her nose at peanuts.  

Hazel
Elvira really loves peanuts!
Other things we did while not digging in the garden:

We did some additional electrification to the fence.  I want a sign that says "It's electric, boogie woogie woogie." 

We tore down one bluebird house while building the fence, so we made two more today.  The bluebirds seem to be waiting for them.

We did some prep for our new arrivals.   Everyone is really excited!

*Okay, so I've worked on it for a little bit at a time over the past three days.  It really feels like it's taking forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment