Thursday, March 7, 2013

Meet the Flock: Calico

When we first started talking about getting sheep, Scott googled "sheep for sale Tennessee."  He found, among other things, a picture of Calico.  At the time, I wasn't sure I wanted Shetlands, but nevertheless, I talked about her all the time.

Calico, when there was still room to grow in her sheep suit

We went to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair at the end of October.  When I saw the Shetlands, I fell in love.  (And they were a lot more practical--the breed that was on the top of our list at the time, Tunis, were taller than Henry!) 

A few days later, we saw Calico (and a few of her friends) posted on Craigslist.  I harassed Scott incessantly, and he told me things like "We don't even have a fence up yet" and "We'd need to put up a barn, too."  I argued that we could get those things done by January (and we did, although it was a close call--as some of you know).

In November, we went to visit the girls.  Calico came up to me and let me scratch her under the chin (something that hasn't happened again).


Calico & most of the gang, ready to meet Barack.  Where's Elsie?

Calico is (almost) seven years old.  (She would like me to add that Sandy is older.)  She's a mioget katmoget (a Shetland thing). Mioget describes her color (light brown), and katmoget describes her markings (dark on the bottom and light on the top). 

Going somewhere fast--for Calico

Calico loves corn.   She really, really loves corn, and she'll do almost anything for it.  In fact, I often think that she knows where I want her to go but goes the opposite way, hoping that I'll try to bribe her with corn.  Unlike the younger gals, she's not fond of peanuts; she will sniff them and turn her head away, disgusted. 

Sniffing for corn
Calico is a stickler for a schedule.  If I'm not heading to the barn exactly at feeding time, she stares at me through the windows.  It's almost creepy, how she always seems to know exactly what room I'm in.

Tomorrow is shearing day, and I'm really excited to see what all the girls look like under all that wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment