Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Meet the Flock: Elsie

Our flock consists of registered Shetland sheep--except for Elsie.  Elsie is an Icelandic/Shetland cross.  She's a bit bigger than the rest of the girls.  She is also the first due to lamb, but we have no way of knowing if anyone is indeed pregnant (and if so, how many lambs they are going to have).  It's hard to make an educated guess with all that wool.*

Elsie, looking like a wild sheep (well, other than the ear tag)

 Elsie is curious but a bit shy.  She is very watchful.

Half-sisters Hazel and Elsie, with Theresa in between

Elsie loves peanuts.  When she is coming forward to eat a peanut out of a person's hands, she stomps. Theresa is starting to do the same thing.  I'm pretty sure Elsie is trying to be scary, but it is adorable.

Stomp, stomp, stomp!

Peanuts!!!

One wonders exactly how the top of her head became muddy...

*Of course, that doesn't stop me from trying to guess.  I've been known to lay in the pasture and try to look for bags (the top of part of the udders)--another thing that's hard to see with all that wool.  Yesterday I think I may have perhaps seen a bit of "baggage" on Elsie.

Poor Elsie.  I really wasn't going to post this picture.

Theo says she looks a bit like a polar bear from behind.  All I can think about when I see this picture is how much hay is in her fleece.  Sigh.  Their coats are not coming off next year, not for man nor beast nor llama.

No comments:

Post a Comment